The Parish Choir
The choirs of St. John's sing an extensive and wide repertoire from medieval plainsong to newly composed music of the 21st century. The choral repertoire list provides a complete listing of the anthems and service music sung during the past several years. In addition to this music, the choir sings the Sunday Eucharist and Choral Evensong psalms to Anglican chant, plainsong, or simplified Anglican chant.
Choral Music Repertoire -2012-2018.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [94.4 KB]
St. John's Choir Customary 2018.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [545.2 KB]
St. Nicholas Choir
Grades 2-6 – These children rehearse on Wednesday evenings from 4:45-6:00 and sing on all Sunday mornings. Members can participate in Sunday School and join with the choir at the Offertory, or they can choose to sing the entire service with the choir. They also sing at many of the special musical services, such as Choral Evensong and Christmas Eve. Participation in the St. Nicholas Choir also involves regular work through the Royal School of Church Music training program. Choristers learn music literacy, vocal production, and also develop their understanding of the Christian faith and tradition.
Grades 7-12 – “Cantemus” is Latin for “Let Us Sing.” The youth members of our choir program work on much of the same music as the adult singers. They rehearse on Wednesdays from 5:30-7:30 pm. They sing on Sunday mornings for the 10:00 am service, as well as special musical services.
St. John’s Choir
Adults - The adult section of the choir rehearses on Wednesdays from 5:30-7:30 pm and sings for the 10:00 am Sunday Eucharist. Approximately once each month the choir also sings for a special musical service, often Choral Evensong, in the afternoon. Services on the major Holy Days of the church, such as Christmas Eve, Holy Week, and Easter Day also involve the musical leadership of the choir. Chorister training for adults is arranged through the choirmasters on an individual basis at convenient times. The Choir of Saint John’s Episcopal Church is always looking for additional singers to augment the excellent existing choir.
- The choir sings approximately 150 different anthems and canticles each year in one of the finest acoustic settings in Bangor.
- Music by Lassus, Palestrina, Tallis, Victoria, Byrd, Gibbons, Bach, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Bruckner, Fauré, Elgar, Stanford, Parry, Vaughan Williams, Britten, Howells, Rorem, Rutter, Chilcott, Tavener and many others
- Singers are welcome in all parts. We are a team of skilled volunteers and membership is by audition with the Choirmaster. The most essential skills are a good ear to match pitch, a commitment to blended choral singing, and an understanding of teamwork. Members should have basic music reading skills and an enthusiasm for choral singing. They need to have voices that can blend with others and stay in tune.
- Singers do not need to be a member of the parish or the Episcopal Church. They do need to have an awareness and desire to be a part of our rich religious tradition that involves music (often sung in foreign languages), liturgy, and scripture. Singers need to be comfortable in the choir’s role of helping lead worship.
- Members need to be willing to make a commitment to weekly attendance at rehearsals and services. The choir’s schedule roughly follows the academic year, with some volunteers continuing to sing during the summer.
- For more information or to arrange an audition, email Robert Ludwig at Choirmaster@StJohnsBangor.org.